Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: A7 Active Crossover Choices

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    A7 Active Crossover Choices

    My clone A7's are completed. 416z's, GPA 902's, 511b's. A pair of subwoofers starts working at 60hz.


    Active Crossover time. My application is home hifi. Classical music.

    I tried a search here, but the site doesn't respond.


    Currently I'm using a pair of singled ended amps with frequency division via a minidsp 2x4HD. Plenty loud in my large high ceiling room.

    Lots of slopes to choose from. 6, 12, 18, 24, 48. Butterworth and Linkwitz Reilly are both available. Also lots of capability to perform room and driver correction. And variable delay for each driver.


    First up, frequency and slope choices. I'm presently using second order Butterworth at 800 Hz. It sounds pretty good. I've also tried LR 24db slopes.

    What are others using in the active realm?

    Thanks for any input.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member BillWojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2016
    Location
    Southern NJ
    Posts
    349
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Active Crossover Choices

    Hi Les, I haven't had the pleasure of trying a miniDSP unit yet but I think one of the features is that you can make adjustments in real time when your hooked up to a laptop.
    I think if I was doing what your doing I would get a calibrated mic and the software to do frequency sweeps and adjust as needed. There is also room EQ software that is supposed to make a big difference.
    Even if you get someone else's files that work awesome for them, it might not work well in your room. I'm not sure who on here has played with the miniDSP.

    BillWojo

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member les winter's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 8th, 2009
    Posts
    150
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Active Crossover Choices

    Thank you Bill.
    I have the mic and the software.
    But before I start correcting, I figured I'd get the A7's working the original way, but with an active crossover, and then do room correction. I think the crossover frequency and slope is primary before trimming the tree. Or that is what I think.
    thanks again.
    les

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member LOUDER's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 16th, 2010
    Posts
    193
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Active Crossover Choices

    Les, I've always run my 511's at 800 hz. The voice coil of the woofer is 19.3 inches from the front edge of the cabinet. This might set your horn back a little farther
    since your using 902's but, it doesn't matter since you have delay. You'll either cut mids or boost highs. Just nature of the beast. I ran passive for years once I went bi-amp I stayed the same. I listen to loud rock and have never blown a diaphragm at that frequency.

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member
    A7 Active Crossover Choices


    jocelys1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2015
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Active Crossover Choices

    Hi Les. I run a 3-way Altec with 515RWB/414-16B and 909-8B. Passive between the 909 /414 and active between the 515. The signal is run through the DSP and adjusted for midband EQ rather than using passive components (keeping passive components minimal and all that)

    The 414 runs from 1600 and downwards in a sealed box. The 909 is on a Klangfilm horn (clone). It works very well.

  6. #6
    Hostboard Member
    A7 Active Crossover Choices


    jocelys1's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 6th, 2015
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: A7 Active Crossover Choices

    Les, I'm curious to understand the SUB below 60hz. I've got a pair of SUBs but find that it detracts from the listening pleasure of the Altec sound and always switch it off for music. I can't put my finger on how /why ?

    Could it be the efficiency of the SUBs cannot keep pace with the main system ?

    Will a pair of tapped horns, size being the main concern with horn-loaded-sub, perform better ?
    Last edited by jocelys1; August 30th, 2017 at 12:35 AM.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.